[openstack-dev] [neutron][rootwrap] Performance considerations, sudo?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Mar 18 08:16:57 UTC 2014

Joe Gordon wrote:
>>     And this is a test with shedskin, I suppose that in more complicated
>>     dependecy scenarios it should perform better.
>>
>>     [majopela at redcylon tmp]$ cat <<EOF >test.py
>>     > import sys
>>     > print "hello world"
>>     > sys.exit(0)
>>     > EOF
>>
>>     [majopela at redcylon tmp]$ time python test.py
>>     hello world
>>
>>     real    0m0.016s
>>     user    0m0.015s
>>     sys     0m0.001s
>
> This looks very promising!
>
> A few gotchas:
>
> * Very limited library support
> https://code.google.com/p/shedskin/wiki/docs#Library_Limitations
>   * no logging
>   * no six
>   * no subprocess
>
> * no *args support
>   * https://code.google.com/p/shedskin/wiki/docs#Python_Subset_Restrictions

This certainly looks promising enough to do a more complete
proof-of-concept around it. This adds packaging complexity and we are
likely to have only a subset of features available, but it may still be
worth it.

I filed the following session so that we can discuss it at the summit:
http://summit.openstack.org/cfp/details/97

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)