[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS][FWaaS][VPN] Admin status vs operational status

Eugene Nikanorov enikanorov at mirantis.com
Mon Mar 17 20:38:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 11:46 PM, Salvatore Orlando <sorlando at nicira.com>wrote:

> It is a common practice to have both an operational and an administrative
> status.
> I agree ACTIVE as a term might result confusing. Even in the case of a
> port, it is not really clear whether it means "READY" or "LINK UP".
> Terminology-wise I would suggest "READY" rather than "DEPLOYED", as it is
> a term which makes sense for all resources, whereas the latter is probably
> a bit more suitable for high layer services.

Yep, READY seems fine to me as well.

> In my opinion [2] putting a resource administratively down mean the user
> is deliberately deciding to disable that resource, and this goes beyond
> simply "disabling its configuration", as mentioned in an earlier post. For
> instance, when a port is put administratively down, I'd expect it to not
> forward traffic anymore; similarly for a VIP.

Agree. But it worth mentioning that disabling a resource doesn't mean
removing it from the backend, which, in turn, requires the backend and
their drivers to support switching configuration off (or otherwise that
kind of behavior becomes backend-dependent and that creates what is called
'uneven API experience)

> However, since this is that time of the release cycle when we can use the
> mailing list to throw random ideas... what about doing an API change were
> we decide to put the administrative status on its way to deprecation?

Quite radical solution, what would be the alternative?
I'd be glad just to improve the names and set of operational status
constants.

While it's a common practice in network engineering to have an admin
> status, do we have a compelling use case for Neutron?

I'm asking because 'admin_state_up' is probably the only attribute I've
> never updated on any resource since when I started using Quantum!

I think it will be used often at least in lbaas world.

Thanks,
Eugene.

Also, other IaaS network APIs that I am aware of ([3],[4],[5]) do not have