[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Heat] os-cloud-config ssh access to cloud

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Fri Mar 14 13:42:35 UTC 2014

On 03/14/2014 06:33 AM, Jiří Stránský wrote:
> On 12.3.2014 17:03, Jiří Stránský wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for all the replies everyone :)
>>
>> I'm leaning towards going the way Robert suggested on the review [1] -
>> upload pre-created signing cert, signing key and CA cert to controller
>> nodes using Heat. This seems like a much cleaner approach to
>> initializing overcloud than having to SSH into it, and it will solve
>> both problems i outlined in the initial e-mail.
>>
>> It creates another problem though - for simple (think PoC) deployments
>> without external CA we'll need to create the keys/certs
>> somehow/somewhere anyway :) It shouldn't be hard because it's already
>> implemented in keystone-manage pki_setup but we should figure out a way
>> to avoid copy-pasting the world. Maybe Tuskar calling pki_setup locally
>> and passing a parameter to pki_setup to override default location where
>> new keys/certs will be generated?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Jirka

> I'm adding [Heat] to the subject. After some discussion on IRC it
> seems that what we need to do with Heat is not totally straightforward.
>
> Here's an attempt at a brief summary:
>
> In TripleO we deploy OpenStack using Heat, the cloud is described in a
> Heat template [1]. We want to externally generate and then upload 3
> small binary files to the controller nodes (Keystone PKI key and
> certificates [2]). We don't want to generate them in place or scp them
> into the controller nodes, because that would require having ssh
> access to the deployed controller nodes, which comes with drawbacks [3].
>
> It would be good if we could have the 3 binary files put into the
> controller nodes as part of the Heat stack creation. Can we include
> them in the template somehow? Or is there an alternative feasible
> approach?

Jirka,

You can inject files via the heat-cfntools agents.  Check out:
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSCloudFormation/latest/UserGuide/aws-resource-init.html#aws-resource-init-files

You could also use raw cloudinit data to inject a files section.

There may be a final option with software config, but I'm not certain if
software config has grown a feature to inject files yet.

Regards
-steve