[openstack-dev] [qa] Python 3.3 patches (using six)

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Mar 13 20:56:03 UTC 2014

On 03/13/2014 04:29 PM, David Kranz wrote:
> On 03/13/2014 10:50 AM, Joe Hakim Rahme wrote:
>> On 10 Mar 2014, at 22:54, David Kranz <dkranz at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There are a number of patches up for review that make various changes
>>> to use "six" apis instead of Python 2 constructs. While I understand
>>> the desire to get a head start on getting Tempest to run in Python 3,
>>> I'm not sure it makes sense to do this work piecemeal until we are
>>> near ready to introduce a py3 gate job. Many contributors will not be
>>> aware of what all the differences are and py2-isms will creep back in
>>> resulting in more overall time spent making these changes and
>>> reviewing. Also, the core review team is busy trying to do stuff
>>> important to the icehouse release which is barely more than 5 weeks
>>> away. IMO we should hold off on various kinds of "cleanup" patches
>>> for now.
>> +1 I agree with you David.
>>
>> However, what’s the best way we can go about making sure to make this a
>> goal for the next release cycle?
> Basically we just need to decide that it is important. Then we would set
> up a non-voting py3.3 job that fails miserably. We would have a list of
> all the changes that are needed. Implement the changes and turn the
> py3.3 job voting as soon as it passes. The more quickly this is done
> once it starts, the better, both because it will cause rebase havoc and
> new non-working-in-3.3 stuff will come in. So it is best done in a
> highly coordinated way where the patches are submitted according to a
> planned sequence and reviewed immediately.

So it's important that there is a full plan about how to get there,
including the python 3 story for everything in requirements.txt and
test-requirements.txt being resolved first.

Because partial work is pretty pointless, it bit rots. And if we can't
get to running tempest regularly with python3 then it will regress (I
would see us doing an extra python3 full run to prove that).

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America