[openstack-dev] does exception need localize or not?

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Thu Mar 13 20:44:50 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 3:45 AM, yongli he <yongli.he at intel.com> wrote:

>  refer to :
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Translations
>
> now some exception use _ and some not.  the wiki suggest do not to do
> that. but i'm not sure.
>
> what's the correct way?
>

> F.Y.I
>
> What To Translate
>
> At present the convention is to translate *all* user-facing strings. This
> means API messages, CLI responses, documentation, help text, etc.
>
> There has been a lack of consensus about the translation of log messages;
> the current ruling is that while it is not against policy to mark log
> messages for translation if your project feels strongly about it,
> translating log messages is not actively encouraged.

I've updated the wiki to replace that paragraph with a pointer to
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LoggingStandards#Log_Translation which
explains the log translation rules. We will be adding the job needed to
have different log translations during Juno.

> Exception text should *not* be marked for translation, becuase if an
> exception occurs there is no guarantee that the translation machinery will
> be functional.

This makes no sense to me. Exceptions should be translated. By far the
largest number of errors will be presented to users through the API or
through Horizon (which gets them from the API). We will ensure that the
translation code does its best to fall back to the original string if the
translation fails.

Doug