[openstack-dev] oslo incubator deprecation policy tweak

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Thu Mar 13 18:12:45 UTC 2014

The Oslo team is working hard to move code from the incubator into
libraries, and that work will speed up during Juno. As part of the
planning, we have been developing our deprecation policy for code in the
oslo-incubator repository. We recognize that it may take some projects
longer than others to adopt the new libraries, but we need to balance the
need for long-term support with the amount of effort it requires to
maintain multiple copies of the code.

We have, during icehouse, been treating the master branch of oslo-incubator
as the "stable" branch for oslo.messaging. In practice, that has meant
refusing new features in the incubator copy of the rpc code and requiring
bug fixes to land in oslo.messaging first. This policy is described in the
wiki (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo#Graduation):

    After the first release of the new library, the status of the module(s)
should be updated to "Obsolete." During this phase, only critical bug fixes
will be allowed in the incubator version of the code. New features and
minor bugs should be fixed in the released library, and effort should be
spent focusing on having downstream projects consume the library.

    After all integrated projects that use the code are using the library
instead of the incubator, the module(s)_ can be deleted from the incubator.

We would like to clarify the first part, and add a time limit to the second
part:

    After the first release of the new library, the status of the module(s)
should be updated to "Obsolete." During this phase, only critical bug fixes
will be allowed in the incubator version of the code. All changes should be
proposed first to the new library repository, and then bug fixes can be
back-ported to the incubator. New features and minor bugs should be fixed
in the released library only, and effort should be spent focusing on having
downstream projects consume the library.

    The incubator version of the code will be supported with critical bug
fixes for one full release cycle after the library graduates, and then be
deleted. If all integrated projects using the module(s) update to use the
library before this time period, the module(s) may be deleted early. Old
versions will be maintained in the stable branches of the incubator under
the usual long-term deprecation policy.

I will update the wiki, but I also wanted to announce the change here on
the list so everyone is aware.

Doug