[openstack-dev] [all][db][performance] Proposal: Get rid of soft deletion (step by step)

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Wed Mar 12 17:23:28 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014, CARVER, PAUL <pc2929 at att.com> wrote:
> I have personally witnessed someone (honestly, not me) select "Terminate
> Instance" when they meant "Reboot Instance" and that mistake is way too
> easy. I'm not sure if it was a brain mistake or mere slip of the mouse,
> but it's enough to make people really nervous in a production
> environment. If there's one thing you can count on about human beings,
> it's that they'll make mistakes sooner or later. Any system that
> assumes infallible human beings as a design criteria is making an
> invalid assumption.

I think there might be some confusion about what soft-delete we're
talking about.

Nova has two orthogonal "soft-delete" features:
1) Database rows are never deleted from the database. They are just
   marked as deleted via a column. This is unexposed to users and is an
   implementation detail in the current code.
2) Instance deletion can be deferred until a later time. This is called
   deferred-delete and soft-delete in the code. If the feature is
   enabled and the instance that has't been reclaimed, it can be
   restored with the 'nova restore' command.

This thread is about the database soft-delete and not the instance
soft-delete.

JE