[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] Refresher on OSLO-Incubator

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Mar 12 14:16:58 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:07 PM, John Griffith <john.griffith at solidfire.com
> [...]

> Hey Everyone,
>
> I wanted to send an email out to point out something that we ran across in
> Cinder yesterday.  First I want to review my understanding of how
> OSLO-Incubator is intended to work:
>
> The idea behind having the OSLO repository is to consolidate the various
> modules and such that all of the OpenStack projects use.  Not only is this
> great to reduce code duplication (at least reinventing the wheel), it also
> provides consistency and what should in the end be more reliable modules
> for all of those methods and functionality that all of the OpenStack
> projects share.
>
> Typically in Cinder if a patch comes along that attempts to modify
> anything in cinder/openstack/common directly it's rejected, the reason is
> that the idea of OSLO is that it is to be the master/upstream repository
> for the shared code.  If a change is needed or a bug needs fixing it needs
> to be fixed their first, and then synched back to the other projects.
>
> In my personal opinion the whole concept of OSLO-Incubator falls apart and
> doesn't work if this process isn't followed.  If the OSLO code needs a
> special customization for a single project then we need to look at the
> module and see if it can be modified to suit everyones needs, or said
> project just shouldn't import that module and should use their own (I know
> some won't like that but hey, it's reality).
>
> Anyway, the reason I'm sending this email out is that recently we had a
> problem showing up in CI with Cinder-API logging a ton of tracebacks.  It
> wasn't overly visible at first because the tests were actually passing, but
> it was a problem in logging and the logging messages.  After some digging
> it turned out that the problem was actually a bug in the
> openstack/common/log.py module which we just recently synched from OSLO,
> bug here [1].
>
> When I first started looking at this I discounted the synch with log.py
> because I noticed that other project (based on git history) had performed
> the same sync recently and had the same version.  After some digging and
> some work by Luis and others however we noticed that those projects had
> patched the log.py file directly in the project (Nova and Glance
> inparticular).
>
> So the problem now is that even though we have what we call "common" it
> seems there's a good chance that a number of projects have their own custom
> version of the code that's there.  That defeats the purpose in my opinion.
>  I don't want to argue the concept or policy of OSLO-Incubator code, but my
> point is that we do have a policy and we agreed on it so we should be
> careful to make sure we follow it.  It's easy for things like this to slip
> by so I'm by no means criticizing (especially since I'm sure there's
> similar things in Cinder), I just mentioned it in the project meeting today
> and folks thought it might be good to get it out on the ML to remind all of

Thanks for raising this, John, it's a good reminder.

This is also one reason we are going to be working so hard during Juno to
move code out of the incubator and into libraries. In addition to
eliminating some of the copying, it will force us to address some of these
sorts of slight incompatibility issues, because projects won't have private
copies to modify.

Doug