[openstack-dev] [Glance] Need to revert "Don't enable all stores by default"

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Mar 12 11:18:14 UTC 2014

On 03/12/2014 06:38 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 11/03/14 16:25 -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
>> Hi. I asked in #openstack-glance a few times today but got no response,
>> so sorry for the list spam.
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/79710/
>>
>> This change introduces a backward incompatible change to defaults with
>> Havana. If a user has chosen to configure swift, but did not add swift
>> to the known_stores, then when that user upgrades Glance, Glance will
>> fail to start because their swift configuration will be invalid.
>>
>> This broke TripleO btw, which tries hard to use default configurations.
>
> I don't think this change has to be reverted. We could add an upgrade
> path for this. We could enable a driver if its config options were set
> and warn the user about this change. Also, we could make sure we
> import all drivers and the config options are registered but that we
> don't try to enable them.
>
> Also, I don't expect (yeah, I know this is not always the case) users to
> blindly upgrade if they really care about their cloud deployment.
> Since this change will be part of the change log and the release
> notes, I expect the user to be aware of it.

OpenStack's 2 largest public clouds don't wait for releases, so that's
not really a good answer.

>> Also I am not really sure why this approach was taken. If a user has
>> explicitly put swift configuration options in their config file, why
>> not just load swift store? Oslo.config will help here in that you can
>> just add all of the config options but not actually expect them to be
>> set. It seems entirely backwards to just fail in this case.
>
> This is exactly the problem. With the current approach, the user has
> not explicitly enabled the swift store. The user just put swift
> configs. With the current 'enable all and let it fail' approach, it is
> really confusing for users to see all the failures and it's not nice to
> enable things by default for the user.
>
> Thanks for raising this issue, I didn't think about this corner
> case.
> Flavio

In fairness, this wasn't a corner case. Grenade was blocking this change
for the whole cycle until a change was made in stable/havana devstack
that sneaked around it with https://review.openstack.org/#/c/75827/.  :)

In addition, the commit in question for glance -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/59150/ didn't have UpgradeImpact, which
is the signaling mechanism for these kinds of issues.

I do think this is a real issue. OpenStack really is expected to be CD
upgradable, not just post release and post release notes. Commits in
OpenStack need to take that into account.

A compatibility behavior should be put in place here.

I do agree the current behavior isn't nice with gorpy error messages all
the time. However, a completely legitimate approach would be:

If configuration for a storage back end existed, but the driver wasn't
explicitly set, load and configure that driver and throw a big
DEPRECATION WARNING in the logs that Glance will require explicit
forward, and provide some user signally.

That is definitely more effort, but as a community we've decided to
support the CD method for OpenStack, which means we need to take account
of these kinds of cases.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague