[openstack-dev] [all][db][performance] Proposal: Get rid of soft deletion (step by step)

Alexis Lee alexisl at hp.com
Tue Mar 11 10:02:36 UTC 2014

Roman Podoliaka said on Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 03:04:06PM -0700:
> So we have a homework to do: find out what for projects use
> soft-deletes. I assume that soft-deletes are only used internally and
> aren't exposed to API users, but let's check that. At the same time
> all new projects should avoid using of soft-deletes from the start.

On that homework, deleted records can be interesting when aggregating
over time. For example, "nodes where over 100 instances went to ERROR
this month" or "nodes that hosted flavor <FLAVOR> this month".

Operators might have written plugins to test these business concerns, so
although Ceilometer might be a better place to get that information, the
transition should be considered.

Alexis
--
Nova Engineer, HP Cloud.  AKA lealexis, lxsli.