[openstack-dev] [nova]Question about Ephemeral/swap disk and flavor

Chen CH Ji jichenjc at cn.ibm.com
Tue Mar 11 08:28:18 UTC 2014

Hi
         We are trying to fix some eph disk related bugs and also
considering our private driver implementation based for eph disk ,so this
is not a usage question ,instead, it's a development question

         I have some questions related "ephemeral_gb" in flavor and nova
boot option "--ephemeral", and I failed to find out descriptions in
existing documents:

   1.	If I boot a new instance using flavor with "ephemeral_gb" defined as
      20 G, and no "--ephemeral" specified, does the new instance have a
      20G additional ephemeral disk after booted?
   2.	The flavor has 20 G ephemeral disk defined, but specified two 5 G
      ephemeral disk through "--ephemeral" option in nova boot cmd, what
      will happen to the new instance? Get one 20G additional ephemeral? Or
      two 5 G ephemeral disks instead?
   3.	If the answer to question 2 is "two 5 G ephemeral disks", what will
      happen if resize this instance to a flavor with "ephemeral_gb"
      defined as 40 G?
   4.   I think the "ephemeral_gb" in flavor means maximum disk size you
      can specified, is this understanding correct?
   5.   Also, above question can be applied to swap disk

Best Regards!

Kevin (Chen) Ji 纪 晨

Engineer, zVM Development, CSTL
Notes: Chen CH Ji/China/IBM at IBMCN   Internet: jichenjc at cn.ibm.com
Phone: +86-10-82454158
Address: 3/F Ring Building, ZhongGuanCun Software Park, Haidian District,
Beijing 100193, PRC