[openstack-dev] Question about Ephemeral/swap disk and flavor

Chen CH Ji jichenjc at cn.ibm.com
Tue Mar 11 05:43:15 UTC 2014

Hi
         We are trying to fix some eph disk related bugs and also
considering our private driver implementation based for eph disk
         I have some questions related "ephemeral_gb" in flavor and nova
boot option "--ephemeral", and I failed to find out descriptions in
existing documents:

   1.	If I boot a new instance using flavor with "ephemeral_gb" defined as
      20 G, and no "--ephemeral" specified, does the new instance have a
      20G additional ephemeral disk after booted?
   2.	The flavor has 20 G ephemeral disk defined, but specified two 5 G
      ephemeral disk through "--ephemeral" option in nova boot cmd, what
      will happen to the new instance? Get one 20G additional ephemeral? Or
      two 5 G ephemeral disks instead?
   3.	If the answer to question 2 is "two 5 G ephemeral disks", what will
      happen if resize this instance to a flavor with "ephemeral_gb"
      defined as 40 G?
   4.   I think the "ephemeral_gb" in flavor means maximum disk size you
      can specified, is this understanding correct?
   5.   Also, above question can be applied to swap disk

Asked here and reply guess developers who made this feature can give more
info:
https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/25088/ephemeral_gb-in-flavor-and-nova-boot-option-ephemeral/

Best Regards!

Kevin (Chen) Ji 纪 晨

Engineer, zVM Development, CSTL
Notes: Chen CH Ji/China/IBM at IBMCN   Internet: jichenjc at cn.ibm.com
Phone: +86-10-82454158
Address: 3/F Ring Building, ZhongGuanCun Software Park, Haidian District,
Beijing 100193, PRC