[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] non-persistent storage(after stopping VM, data will be rollback automatically), do you think we shoud introduce this feature?

Zhangleiqiang zhangleiqiang at huawei.com
Mon Mar 10 11:52:54 UTC 2014

Hi, Joe & Qin Zhao:

	I think the user case from [1] is more typical for the "non-persistent volume" and the related "independent persistent volume" feature.

	Let's take a virtual machine which hosts a web service, but it is primarily a read-only web site with content that rarely changes. This VM has three disks. Disk 1 contains the Guest OS and web application (e.g. Apache). Disk 2 contains the web pages for the web site. Disk 3 contains all the logging activity.
         In this case, disk 1 (OS & app) are dependent (default) settings and is backed up nightly. Disk 2 is independent non-persistent (not backed up, and any changes to these pages will be discarded). Disk 3 is independent persistent (not backed up, but any changes are persisted to the disk).
         If updates are needed to the web site's pages, disk 2 must be taken out of independent non-persistent mode temporarily to allow the changes to be made.
         Now let's say that this site gets hacked, and the pages are doctored with something which is not very nice. A simple reboot of this host will discard the changes made to the web pages on disk 2, but will persist the logs on disk 3 so that a root cause analysis can be carried out.

	The "in-place snapshot" and "file system support snapshot" can both achieve the purpose for test particular functionality.
         However, compared to non-persistent volume, "in-place snapshot" is more or less heavier, and the Instance-level snapshot has more larger granularity than volume, especially for the use case mentioned above. File system which supports snapshot will not be applicable for the situation when the system is got hacked.

	So I think the "non-persistent  volume" feature is meaningful for public cloud.

	P.S. There is a misunderstanding before:
	Non-Persistent Volume:  All the write options are temp. Changes are discarded when the virtual machine is force reset or powered off . If you restart the system , the data will still be available on the disk. Changes will be discarded only when the system is force RESET or POWERED OFF.

	Are there any other suggestions?  Thanks.

[1]  http://cormachogan.com/2013/04/16/what-are-dependent-independent-disks-persistent-and-non-persisent-modes/

zhangleiqiang

Best Regards