[openstack-dev] stored userdata

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Sun Mar 9 22:08:49 UTC 2014

On 08/03/14 03:14, Stephen Gran wrote:
> On 07/03/14 05:05, Hiroyuki Eguchi wrote:
>> I'm envisioning a stored userdata feature.
>> < https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/stored-userdata >
>>
>> Currently, OpenStack allow user to execute script or send
>> configuration file
>> when creating a instance by using --user-data /path/to/filename option.
>>
>> But,In order to use this option, All users must input userdata every
>> time.
>> So we need to store the userdata in database so that users can manage
>> userdata more easily.
>>
>> I'm planning to develop these Nova-APIs.
>>   - nova userdata-create
>>   - nova userdata-update
>>   - nova userdata-delete
>>   - nova userdata-show
>>   - nova userdata-list
>>
>> Users can specify a userdata_name managed by Nova DB or
>> /path/to/filename in --user-data option.
>>
>>   - nova boot --user-data <userdata_name or /path/to/filename> ...
>>

>> If you have any comments or suggestion, please let me know.
>> And please let me know if there's any discussion about this.
>
> In general, I think userdata should be WORM.  It certainly is in every
> other cloud setup I am familiar with.  This is the information fed to
> the instance when it boots the first time - having userdata change
> over time means you lose access to the original when you want to go
> back and retrieve it.
>
> I think this would be a regression, and be unexpected behavior.
>
> Cheers,
I have an abandoned changeset which allowed for userdata to be updated
post-boot:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/update-userdata

Heat orchestrated servers need to poll for configuration metadata
changes. My intention was to push this data to userdata, so the server
could poll for changes by doing a simple unauthenticated curl call to
the nova metadata service.

I'm not currently pursuing this approach but I wouldn't object to
someone else taking it over.

cheers