[openstack-dev] [nova] [bug?] live migration fails with boot-from-volume

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Sat Mar 8 06:08:51 UTC 2014

Hi,

I was just testing the current icehouse code and came across some
behaviour that looked suspicious.

I have two nodes, an all-in-one and a compute node.  I was not using
shared instance storage.

I created a volume from an image and then booted an instance from the
volume.  Once the image was up and running I tried to do a "nova
live-migration <instance>" and got the following error:

cfriesen at controller:/opt/stack/nova/nova/compute$ nova live-migration
fromvol
ERROR: controller is not on shared storage: Live migration can not be
used without shared storage. (HTTP 400) (Request-ID:
req-0d8da5e4-b0ec-401d-be95-d9c4f9f7e062)

Shouldn't booting from volume count as a form of shared storage?

Chris