[openstack-dev] openstack-swift put performance

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 05:10:38 UTC 2014

Well... What results did you get?  What did you expect?  What do you hope
to achieve?

How are you balancing your client requests across the five nodes?  I'm not
sure you're going to get anywhere near 2000^H^H requests a second from a
single thread (!?) - Swift's performs best against many concurrent requests.

But I'm still game for micro optimization too!

It's sort of understood that HTTP overhead will have a more and more
non-trivial impact on requests as the size of the objects get smaller.

I would say the *biggest* benefit of Swift's expect 100 continue support is
to avoid transferring data needlessly to servers that can't support it (I'm
speaking particularly on the 507 case here) - but if someone had the
numbers to prove out dramatic improvement on small requests I could see it
possibly becoming optional (error limiting on 507 is pretty aggressive).

There's other benefits to expect 100 continue, but I could imagine a
deployment where the benefit is negligible and I'd listen if anyone had
numbers to better understand the cost.

-Clay