[openstack-dev] [nova] a question about instance snapshot

Liuji (Jeremy) jeremy.liu at huawei.com
Fri Mar 7 02:29:04 UTC 2014

Hi, all

Current openstack seems not support to snapshot instance with memory and dev states.
I searched the blueprint and found two relational blueprint like below.
But these blueprint failed to get in the branch.

[1]: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/live-snapshots
[2]: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/live-snapshot-vms

In the blueprint[1], there is a comment,"
We discussed this pretty extensively on the mailing list and in a design summit session.
The consensus is that this is not a feature we would like to have in nova. --russellb "
But I can't find the discuss mail about it. I hope to know why we think so ?
Without memory snapshot, we can't to provide the feature for user to revert a instance to a checkpoint.

Anyone who knows the history can help me or give me a hint how to find the discuss mail?

I am a newbie for openstack and I apologize if I am missing something very obvious.

Thanks,
Jeremy Liu