[openstack-dev] [nova] RFC - using Gerrit for Nova Blueprint review & approval

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 00:16:25 UTC 2014

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 13:05:15 -0500
Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
> In today's Nova meeting a new thought occurred. We already have Gerrit
> which is good for reviewing things. It gives you detailed commenting
> abilities, voting, and history. Instead of attempting (and usually
> failing) on doing blueprint review in launchpad (or launchpad + an
> etherpad, or launchpad + a wiki page) we could do something like
> follows:
>
> 1. create bad blueprint
> 2. create gerrit review with detailed proposal on the blueprint
> 3. iterate in gerrit working towards blueprint approval
> 4. once approved copy back the approved text into the blueprint (which
> should now be sufficiently detailed)

+1. I think this could really help avoid wasted work for API related
changes in particular.

Just wondering if we need step 4 - or if the blueprint text should
always just link to either the unapproved patch for the text in
gerrit, or the text in repository once it's approved. Updates to
proposal would be proposed through the same process.

Chris