[openstack-dev] [MagnetoDB] a key-value storage service for OpenStack. The pilot implementation is available now

Ilya Sviridov isviridov at mirantis.com
Thu Mar 6 00:57:47 UTC 2014

Hello openstackers,

I'm excited to share that we have finished work on pilot implementation of
MagnetoDB, a key-value storage service for OpenStack.

During pilot development we have reached the following goals:

   -

   evaluated python cassandra clients maturity
   -

   evaluated python web stack maturity to handle high availability and high
   load scenarios
   -

   found a number of performance bottlenecks and analyzed the approaches to
   address
   -

   drafted and checked service architecture
   -

   drafted and checked deployment procedures

The API implementation is compatible with AWS DynamoDB API and pilot
version already supports the basic operations with tables and items. We
tested with boto library and Java AWS SDK and it work seamlessly with both
services.

Currently we are working on RESTFul API what will follow OpenStack tenets
in addition to current AWS DynamoDB API.

We have chosen Cassandra for pilot as most suitable storage for service
functionality. However, the cost of ownership and administration of
additional type of software can be determinative factor in choosing of
solution. That is why the backend database pluggability is important.

Currently we are evaluating HBase as one of alternatives as far as Hadoop
powered analytics often co-exists with OpenStack installations or works on
top of it like Savanna.

You can find more details on MagnetoDB along with the screencast on
Mirantis blog [1].

We will be publishing more details on each area of the findings during the
course of the next few weeks.

Any questions and ideas are very welcome. For those who are interested to
contribute, you can always find us on #magnetodb.

Links

[1]
http://www.mirantis.com/blog/introducing-magnetodb-nosql-database-service-openstack/

[2] https://github.com/stackforge/magnetodb