[openstack-dev] [nova] Simulating many fake nova compute nodes for scheduler testing

Mike Wilson geekinutah at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 01:14:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Sergey Skripnick <sskripnick at mirantis.com>wrote:

>  I can run multiple compute service in same hosts without containers.
>> Containers give you a nice isolation and another way to try a more
>> realistic scenario, but my initial goal now is to be able to simulate many
>> fake compute node scenario with as little resources as possible.
>>

> I believe it is impossible to use threads without changes in the code.

Having gone the threads route once myself, I can say from experience that
it requires changes to the code. I was able to get threads up and running
with a few modifications, but there were other issues that I never fully
resolved that make me lean more towards the container model that has been
discussed earlier in the thread. Btw, I would suggest having a look at
Rally, the Openstack Benchmarking Service. They have deployment frameworks
that use LXC that you might be able to write a "thread" model for.

-Mike