[openstack-dev] Incubation Request: Murano

Georgy Okrokvertskhov gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com
Tue Mar 4 23:32:08 UTC 2014

Hi Thomas, Zane,

Thank you for bringing TOSCA to the discussion. I think this is important
topic as it will help to find better alignment or even future merge of
Murano DSL and Heat templates. Murano DSL uses YAML representation too, so
we can easily merge use constructions from Heat and probably any other YAML
based TOSCA formats.

I will be glad to join TOSCA TC. Is there any formal process for that?

I also would like to use this opportunity and start conversation with Heat
team about Heat roadmap and feature set. As Thomas mentioned in his
previous e-mail TOSCA topology story is quite covered by HOT. At the same
time there are entities like Plans which are covered by Murano. We had
discussion about bringing workflows to Heat engine before HK summit and it
looks like that Heat team has no plans to bring workflows into Heat. That
is actually why we mentioned Orchestration program as a potential place for
Murano DSL as Heat+Murano together will cover everything which is defined
by TOSCA.

I think TOSCA initiative can be a great place to collaborate. I think it
will be possible then to use Simplified TOSCA format for Application
descriptions as TOSCA is intended to provide such descriptions.

Is there a team who are driving TOSCA implementation in OpenStack
community? I feel that such team is necessary.

Thanks
Georgy

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Thomas Spatzier
<thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com>wrote:

> Excerpt from Zane Bitter's message on 04/03/2014 23:16:21:
> > From: Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com>
> > To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
> > Date: 04/03/2014 23:20
> > Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] Incubation Request: Murano
> >
> > On 04/03/14 00:04, Georgy Okrokvertskhov wrote:
> > >
> > It so happens that the OASIS's TOSCA technical committee are working as
> > we speak on a "TOSCA Simple Profile" that will hopefully make things
> > easier to use and includes a YAML representation (the latter is great
> > IMHO, but the key to being able to do it is the former). Work is still
> > at a relatively early stage and in my experience they are very much open
> > to input from implementers.
>
> Nice, I was probably also writing a mail with this information at about the
> same time :-)
> And yes, we are very much interested in feedback from implementers and open
> to suggestions. If we can find gaps and fill them with good proposals, now
> is the right time.
>

> > I would strongly encourage you to get involved in this effort (by
> > joining the TOSCA TC), and also to architect Murano in such a way that
> > it can accept input in multiple formats (this is something we are making
> > good progress toward in Heat). Ideally the DSL format for Murano+Heat
> > should be a trivial translation away from the relevant parts of the YAML
> > representation of TOSCA Simple Profile.
>
> Right, having a straight-forward translation would be really desirable. The
> way to get there can actually be two-fold: (1) any feedback we get from the
> Murano folks on the TOSCA simple profile and YAML can help us to make TOSCA
> capable of addressing the right use cases, and (2) on the other hand make
> sure the implementation goes in a direction that is in line with what TOSCA
> YAML will look like.
>

> > cheers,
> > Zane.

Georgy Okrokvertskhov