[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] non-persistent storage(after stopping VM, data will be rollback automatically), do you think we shoud introduce this feature?

Qin Zhao chaochin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 09:06:57 UTC 2014

I think the current snapshot implementation can be a solution sometimes,
but it is NOT exact same as user's expectation. For example, a new
blueprint is created last week,
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/driver-specific-snapshot, which
seems a little similar with this discussion. I feel the user is requesting
Nova to create in-place snapshot (not a new image), in order to revert the
instance to a certain state. This capability should be very useful when
testing new software or system settings. It seems a short-term temporary
snapshot associated with a running instance for Nova. Creating a new
instance is not that convenient, and may be not feasible for the user,
especially if he or she is using public cloud.

Qin Zhao