[openstack-dev] [neutron]the discussion about traffic storm protection in network virtualization environment

Yuzhou (C) vitas.yuzhou at huawei.com
Tue Mar 4 03:53:48 UTC 2014

Hi lasterjetyang:

>There is one thing I am not quite sure, maybe you can coach me. by using OVS or OpenDayLight or floodlight, the east-west bound traffic will be defined as flow, and I personally don't understand how storm could happen in OpenFlow.
>PS I could be wrong on this.

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I know, to ARP or DHCP broadcast request packets , SDN controller can reponse packets directly by flowtable instead of  broadcast.
But BUM(broadcast, unknown unicast, or multicast) are not only  these two type of packets, for example , many APPs use UDP broadcast.
Right now there are many types of packets that current sdncontroller could not deal with but only forward normally.

In addition, I think the traditional network(not support openflow or SDN) still exist for long time .

So I think BUM will still exist, traffic storm will still occur.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Zhou Yu