[openstack-dev] Incubation Request: Murano

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Mar 4 02:33:01 UTC 2014

On 25/02/14 05:08, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> The second challenge is that we only started to explore the space of
> workload lifecycle management, with what looks like slightly overlapping
> solutions (Heat, Murano, Solum, and the openstack-compatible PaaS
> options out there), and it might be difficult, or too early, to pick a
> winning complementary set.

I'd also like to add that there is already a codified OASIS standard
(TOSCA) that covers application definition at what appears to be a
similar level to Murano. Basically it's a more abstract version of what
Heat does plus workflows for various parts of the lifecycle (e.g. backup).

Heat and TOSCA folks have been working together since around the time of
the Havana design summit with the aim of eventually getting a solution
for launching TOSCA applications on OpenStack. Nothing is set in stone
yet, but I would like to hear from the Murano folks how they are
factoring compatibility with existing standards into their plans.

cheers,
Zane.