[openstack-dev] [nova] Questions about guest NUMA and memory binding policies

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Tue Mar 4 02:29:08 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Hi, all
>
> I search the current blueprints and old mails in the mail list, but find
> nothing about Guest NUMA and setting memory binding policies.
> I just find a blueprint about vcpu topology and a blueprint about CPU
> binding.
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/support-libvirt-vcpu-topology
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/numa-aware-cpu-binding
>
> Is there any plan for the guest NUMA and memory binding policies setting?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy Liu

Hi Jeremy,

As you've discovered there have been a few attempts at getting some work started in this area. Dan Berrange outlined some of the possibilities in this area in a previous mailing list post [1] though it's multi-faceted, there are a lot of different ways to break it down. If you dig into the details you will note that the support-libvirt-vcpu-topology blueprint in particular got a fair way along but there were some concerns noted in the code reviews and on the list [2] around the design.

It seems like this is an area that there is a decent amount of interest in and we should work on list to flesh out a design proposal, ideally this would be presented for further discussion at the Juno design summit. What are your particular needs/desires from a NUMA aware nova scheduler?

Thanks,

Steve

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-November/019715.html
[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-December/022940.html