[openstack-dev] [Nova] Concrete Proposal for Keeping V2 API

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 20:24:55 UTC 2014

On 03/03/2014 02:59 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> -1 from me. Sounds like a way to avoid badly needed change and
> innovation in the API. When, for example, would we be able to propose a
> patch that removed API extensions entirely?

v3 didn't address this at all, anyway.  I'm not even sure there's
consensus on it.  In any case, I think it's tangential and only relevant
if we're starting with a new API.

> The inconsistent naming, capitalization, numerous worthless or pointless
> API extensions, ability to do similar or identical things in different
> ways, and the incorrect result/response codes makes the Nova API look
> immature and clownish. I'd love to see a competing proposal to this that
> looks towards the future and a day when we can be proud of the Compute
> API as a real differentiator vs. the EC2 API. As it stands, the v2 REST
> API just makes OpenStack Compute look subpar at best, IMO.

Much of what you discuss is addressed in the document.

I think the differentiation that you want comes from a new ground-up
API, and not what's being discussed here (v3, or further evolution of v2).

> Feel free to accuse me of wanting my cake and eating it, too. I guess
> I'm just both hungry and impatient.

Not that, exactly ... just ignoring some of the practicalities at hand,
I think.

--
Russell Bryant