[openstack-dev] WARNING: ... This application has not enabled MySQL traditional mode, which means silent data corruption may occur - real issue?

David Ripton dripton at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 20:13:25 UTC 2014

On 03/02/2014 09:42 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> Coming in at slightly less than 1 million log lines in the last 7 days:
> http://logstash.openstack.org/#eyJzZWFyY2giOiJtZXNzYWdlOlwiVGhpcyBhcHBsaWNhdGlvbiBoYXMgbm90IGVuYWJsZWQgTXlTUUwgdHJhZGl0aW9uYWwgbW9kZSwgd2hpY2ggbWVhbnMgc2lsZW50IGRhdGEgY29ycnVwdGlvbiBtYXkgb2NjdXJcIiIsImZpZWxkcyI6W10sIm9mZnNldCI6MCwidGltZWZyYW1lIjoiNjA0ODAwIiwiZ3JhcGhtb2RlIjoiY291bnQiLCJ0aW1lIjp7InVzZXJfaW50ZXJ2YWwiOjB9LCJzdGFtcCI6MTM5MzgxNDExMzcyOX0=
>
> "This application has not enabled MySQL traditional mode, which means
> silent data corruption may occur"
>
> This is being generated by  *.openstack.common.db.sqlalchemy.session in
> at least nova, glance, neutron, heat, ironic, and savana
>
> http://logstash.openstack.org/#eyJzZWFyY2giOiJtZXNzYWdlOlwiVGhpcyBhcHBsaWNhdGlvbiBoYXMgbm90IGVuYWJsZWQgTXlTUUwgdHJhZGl0aW9uYWwgbW9kZSwgd2hpY2ggbWVhbnMgc2lsZW50IGRhdGEgY29ycnVwdGlvbiBtYXkgb2NjdXJcIiIsImZpZWxkcyI6W10sIm9mZnNldCI6MCwidGltZWZyYW1lIjoiNjA0ODAwIiwiZ3JhcGhtb2RlIjoiY291bnQiLCJ0aW1lIjp7InVzZXJfaW50ZXJ2YWwiOjB9LCJzdGFtcCI6MTM5MzgxNDExMzcyOSwibW9kZSI6InNjb3JlIiwiYW5hbHl6ZV9maWVsZCI6Im1vZHVsZSJ9
>

> At any rate, it would be good if someone that understood the details
> here could weigh in about whether is this really a true WARNING that
> needs to be fixed or if it's not, and just needs to be silenced.

oslo-incubator commit a5841668 just got in, and made traditional the
default.  Of course it'll take a while for that to be copied everywhere.
  Once it is, this problem should mostly go away.

But, yeah, we should probably remove that warning, since if we let users
override the default, we shouldn't fill their log partition for doing so.

David Ripton   Red Hat   dripton at redhat.com