[openstack-dev] Climate Incubation Application

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 17:39:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Dina Belova <dbelova at mirantis.com> wrote:
> Joe, as said, Amazon reservation is not like implemented in Climate - and
> really we had different original use cases to have the same result. Amazon
> instances reservations do not guarantee that instance will be provided to
> user, as in Climate we started implemented reservations possibilities with
> this guarantee (due to original use cases). That's why we're mostly speaking
> about time-based resource management now, not billing purposes.

"Reliable
Reserved Instances provide a capacity reservation so that you can have
confidence in your ability to launch the number of instances you have
reserved when you need them."
https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/purchasing-options/reserved-instances/

That sounds like a guarantee to me.

How does climate enforce a guarantee while freeing the physical
resource for something else to use? Otherwise you are consuming a
resource without charging anyone (assuming you don't charge anything
for a reservation for a lease that hasn't started.