[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] [Cinder] Open Source and community working together

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Mar 3 17:30:09 UTC 2014

Luke Gorrie wrote:
> That's a really harsh threat being made against a really vaguely defined
> group.
>
> I don't want to have to read between the lines on threats posted to
> openstack-dev to see if my reputation will be in tatters in the morning.
>
> This spoiled my day today, and I have nothing to do with whatever
> incident you guys with privileged information are talking about.

I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't mean that as a threat: my point was
that at some point, some company will be called out on their
non-cooperative behavior. It just takes an enraged person and an ML post
or a tweet. Since so far all those incidents successfully didn't name
anyone, it will feel very unfair to the first company that gets hit by
such reputational backlash.

My advice was therefore that you should not wait for that to happen to
engage in cooperative behavior, because you don't want to be the first
company to get singled out.

This kind of reputational pressure is at work all the time in the Linux
Kernel project, where companies which contribute less or engage in bad
behavior are routinely mentioned (sometimes in very offensive ways). I
don't think we can prevent this happening in OpenStack unless
cooperation stays the norm.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)