[openstack-dev] Climate Incubation Application

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 17:04:07 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 6:27 AM, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> >

>> > Again, that's not only reserving an instance, but rather a complex mix
>> > of
>> > resources. At the moment, we do provide way to reserve virtual instances
>> > by
>> > shelving/unshelving them at the lease start, but we also give
>> > possibility to
>> > provide dedicated compute hosts. Considering it, the logic of resource
>> > allocation and scheduling (take the word as resource planner, in order
>> > not
>> > to confuse with Nova's scheduler concerns) and capacity planning is too
>> > big
>> > to fail under the Compute's umbrella, as it has been agreed within the
>> > Summit talks and periodical threads.
>>
>> Capacity planning not falling under Compute's umbrella is news to me,
>> are you referring to Gantt and scheduling in general? Perhaps I don't
>> fully understand the full extent of what 'capacity planning' actually
>> is.
>>

>> > From the user standpoint, there are multiple ways to integrate with
>> > Climate
>> > in order to get Capacity Planning capabilities. As you perhaps noticed,
>> > the
>> > workflow for reserving resources is different from one plugin to
>> > another.
>> > Either we say the user has to explicitly request for dedicated resources
>> > (using Climate CLI, see dedicate compute hosts allocation), or we
>> > implicitly
>> > integrate resource allocation from the Nova API (see virtual instance
>> > API
>> > hook).
>>
>> I don't see how Climate reserves resources is relevant to the user.
>>

>> > We truly accept our current implementation as a first prototype, where
>> > scheduling decisions can be improved (possibly thanks to some tight
>> > integration with a future external Scheduler aaS, hello Gantt), where
>> > also
>> > resource isolation and preemption must also be integrated with
>> > subprojects
>> > (we're currently seeing how to provision Cinder volumes and Neutron
>> > routers
>> > and nets), but anyway we still think there is a (IMHO big) room for
>> > resource
>> > and capacity management on its own project.
>> >
>> > Hoping it's clearer now,
>>
>> Unfortunately that doesn't clarify things for me.
>>
>> From the user's point of view what is the benefit from making a
>> reservation in the future? Versus what Nova supports today, asking for
>> an instance in the present.
>>
>> Same thing from the operator's perspective,  what is the benefit of
>> taking reservations for the future?
>>
>> This whole model is unclear to me because as far as I can tell no
>> other clouds out there support this model, so I have nothing to
>> compare it to.
>>

> Hi Joe,
> I think it's meant to save consumers money by pricing instances based on

The reserved concept in Amazon, is very different then the one
proposed here. The amazon concept doesn't support saying I will need
an instance in 3 days, this is trying to support that use case.
Furthermore  I am not sure how the climate proposal would allow a
cloud provider to offer a cheaper offering.