[openstack-dev] [TripleO] milestone-proposed branches

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Mar 3 10:12:16 UTC 2014

James Slagle wrote:
> I'd like to ask that the following repositories for TripleO be included
> in next week's cutting of icehouse-3:
>
> http://git.openstack.org/openstack/tripleo-incubator
> http://git.openstack.org/openstack/tripleo-image-elements
> http://git.openstack.org/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates
> http://git.openstack.org/openstack/diskimage-builder
> http://git.openstack.org/openstack/os-collect-config
> http://git.openstack.org/openstack/os-refresh-config
> http://git.openstack.org/openstack/os-apply-config
>
> Are you willing to run through the steps on the How_To_Release wiki for
> these repos, or should I do it next week? Just let me know how or what
> to coordinate. Thanks.

I looked into more details and there are a number of issues as TripleO
projects were not really originally configured to be "released".

First, some basic jobs are missing, like a tarball job for
tripleo-incubator.

Then the release scripts are made for integrated projects, which follow
a number of rules that TripleO doesn't follow:

- One Launchpad project per code repository, under the same name (here
you have tripleo-* under tripleo + diskimage-builder separately)
- The person doing the release should be a "driver" (or "release
manager") for the project (here, Robert is the sole driver for
diskimage-builder)
- Projects should have an icehouse series and a icehouse-3 milestone

Finally the person doing the release needs to have "push annotated tags"
/ "create reference" permissions over refs/tags/* in Gerrit. This seems
to be missing for a number of projects.

In all cases I'd rather limit myself to incubated/integrated projects,
rather than extend to other projects, especially on a busy week like
feature freeze week. So I'd advise that for icehouse-3 you follow the
following simplified procedure:

- Add missing tarball-creation jobs
- Add missing permissions for yourself in Gerrit
- Skip milestone-proposed branch creation
- Push tag on master when ready (this will result in tarballs getting
built at tarballs.openstack.org)

Optionally:
- Create icehouse series / icehouse-3 milestone for projects in LP
- Manually create release and upload resulting tarballs to Launchpad
milestone page, under the projects that make the most sense (tripleo-*
under tripleo, etc)

I'm still a bit confused with the goals here. My original understanding
was that TripleO was explicitly NOT following the release cycle. How
much of the integrated projects release process do you want to reuse ?
We do a feature freeze on icehouse-3, then bugfix on master until -rc1,
then we cut an icehouse release branch (milestone-proposed), unfreeze
master and let it continue as Juno. Is that what you want to do too ? Do
you want releases ? Or do you actually just want stable branches ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)