[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] [Cinder] Open Source and community working together

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Sat Mar 1 23:30:10 UTC 2014

Hey,

I just wanted to send out a quick note on a topic that came up recently.
 Unfortunately the folks that I'd like to read this most; don't participate
on the ML typically, but I'd at least like to raise some community
awareness.

We all know OpenStack is growing at a rapid pace and has a lot of promise,
so much so that there's an enormous field of vendors and OS distributions
that are focusing a lot of effort and marketing on the project.

Something that came up recently in the Cinder project is that one of the
backend device vendors wasn't happy with a feature that somebody was
working on and contributed a patch for.  Instead of providing a meaningful
review and suggesting alternatives to the patch they set up meetings with
other vendors leaving the active members of the community out and picked
things apart in their own format out of the public view.  Nobody from the
core Cinder team was involved in these discussions or meetings (at least
that I've been made aware of).

I don't want to go into detail about who, what, where etc at this point.  I
instead, I want to point out that in my opinion this is no way to operate
in an Open Source community.  Collaboration is one thing, but ambushing
other peoples work is entirely unacceptable in my opinion.  OpenStack
provides a plethora of ways to participate and voice your opinion, whether
it be this mailing list, the IRC channels which are monitored daily and
also host a published weekly meeting for most projects.  Of course when in
doubt you're welcome to send me an email at any time with questions or
concerns that you have about a patch.  In any case however the proper way
to address concerns about a submitted patch is to provide a review for that
patch.

Everybody has a voice and the ability to participate, and the most
effective way to do that is by thorough, timely and constructive code
reviews.

I'd also like to point out that while a number of companies and vendors
have fancy taglines like "The Leaders of OpenStack", they're not.
 OpenStack is a community effort, as of right now there is no company that
leads or runs OpenStack.  If you have issues or concerns on the development
side you need to take those up with the development community, not vendor
xyz.

Thanks,
John