[openstack-dev] [all][specs] Please stop doing specs for any changes in projects

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Jun 30 21:35:36 UTC 2014

Thanks boris for starting this topic,

There is a balance here that needs to be worked out and I've seen specs start to turn into requirements for every single patch (even if the patch is pretty small). I hope we can rework the 'balance in the force' to avoid being so strict that every little thing requires a spec. This will not end well for us as a community.

How have others thought the spec process has worked out so far? To much overhead, to little…?

I personally am of the opinion that specs should be used for large topics (defining large is of course arbitrary); and I hope we find the right balance to avoid scaring everyone away from working with openstack. Maybe all of this is part of openstack maturing, I'm not sure, but it'd be great if we could have some guidelines around when is a spec needed and when isn't it and take it into consideration when requesting a spec that the person you have requested may get frustrated and just leave the community (and we must not have this happen) if you ask for it without explaining why and how clearly.