[openstack-dev] [oslo] Openstack and SQLAlchemy

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Jun 30 17:03:56 UTC 2014

woot!

From: Mike Bayer [mbayer at redhat.com]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2014 1:56 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: [openstack-dev] [oslo] Openstack and SQLAlchemy

Hi all -

For those who don't know me, I'm Mike Bayer, creator/maintainer of
SQLAlchemy, Alembic migrations and Dogpile caching.   In the past month
I've become a full time Openstack developer working for Red Hat, given
the task of carrying Openstack's database integration story forward.
To that extent I am focused on the oslo.db project which going forward
will serve as the basis for database patterns used by other Openstack
applications.

I've summarized what I've learned from the community over the past month
in a wiki entry at:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Openstack_and_SQLAlchemy

The page also refers to an ORM performance proof of concept which you
can see at https://github.com/zzzeek/nova_poc.

The goal of this wiki page is to publish to the community what's come up
for me so far, to get additional information and comments, and finally
to help me narrow down the areas in which the community would most
benefit by my contributions.

I'd like to get a discussion going here, on the wiki, on IRC (where I am
on freenode with the nickname zzzeek) with the goal of solidifying the
blueprints, issues, and SQLAlchemy / Alembic features I'll be focusing
on as well as recruiting contributors to help in all those areas.  I
would welcome contributors on the SQLAlchemy / Alembic projects directly
as well, as we have many areas that are directly applicable to Openstack.

I'd like to thank Red Hat and the Openstack community for welcoming me
on board and I'm looking forward to digging in more deeply in the coming
months!

- mike