[openstack-dev] oslosphinx & hacking build-depending on each other

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Jun 30 14:43:16 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-30 22:11:30 +0800 (+0800), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> It'd be nice to fix the fact that oslosphinx & hacking are
> build-depending on each other. How can we fix this?

They're only build-depending on one another (in the Debian sense)
because you have made them to do so. Hacking does have a build-time
dependency on oslosphinx for generating its documentation, yes. On
the other hand oslosphinx only has a test-time dependency on
hacking. It's the decision to also run your tests at build-time
(presumably because Debian lacks any package build provision to
differentiate doc build requirements from testing requirements)
which make this at all circular.

Perhaps you could skip running hacking tests on oslosphinx (you
could run the rest of flake8 against it, just omit the hacking
extension)? Alternatively, use build profiles... oslosphinx pretty
clearly falls into the "documentation tools" description in
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianBootstrap#Circular_dependencies.2Fstaged_builds
so might be a good fit.
--
Jeremy Stanley