[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Use MariaDB by default on Fedora

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Jun 27 20:13:18 UTC 2014

Excerpts from James Slagle's message of 2014-06-27 12:59:36 -0700:
> Things are a bit confusing right now, especially with what's been
> proposed.  Let me try and clarify (even if just for my own sake).
>
> Currently the choices offered are:
>
> 1. mysql percona with the percona tarball

Percona Xtradb Cluster, not "mysql percona"

> 2. mariadb galera with mariadb.org packages
> 3. mariadb galera with rdo packages
>
> And, we're proposing to add
>
> 4. mysql percona with percona packages: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/90134
> 5. mariadb galera with fedora packages https://review.openstack.org/#/c/102815/
>
> 4 replaces 1, but only for Ubuntu/Debian, it doesn't work on Fedora/RH
> 5 replaces 3 (neither of which work on Ubuntu/Debian, obviously)
>
> Do we still need 1? Fedora/RH + percona tarball.  I personally don't think so.
>
> Do we still need 2? Fedora/RH or Ubuntu/Debian with galera packages
> from maraidb.org. For the Fedora/RH case, I doubt it, people will just
> use 5.
>
> 3 will be gone (replaced by 5).
>
> So, yes, I'd like to see 5 as the default for Fedora/RH and 4 as the
> default for Ubuntu/Debian, and both those tested in CI. And get rid of
> (or deprecate) 1-3.

I'm actually more confused now than before I read this. The use of
numbers is just making my head spin.

It can be stated this way I think:

On RPM systems, use MariaDB Galera packages.
    If packages are in the distro, use distro packages. If packages are
    not in the distro, use RDO packages.

On DEB systems, use Percona XtraDB Cluster packages.
    If packages are in the distro, use distro packages. If packages are
    not in the distro, use upstream packages.

If anything doesn't match those principles, it is a bug.