[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] [Heat] Ceilometer aware people, please advise us on processing notifications..

Andrew Mann andrew at divvycloud.com
Fri Jun 27 16:30:53 UTC 2014

This may be out of scope, but as a developer of an external tool that works
with OpenStack we would love an external interface to get this kind of
information more efficiently. Today we poll the state of all resources
periodically which is a pretty heavy operation. Ideally any work done for
internal notification would be able to be leveraged for such an external
API in the future.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Randall Burt <randall.burt at rackspace.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2014, at 5:25 PM, Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com>
>  wrote:
>
> > On 23/06/14 19:25, Clint Byrum wrote:
> >> Hello! I would like to turn your attention to this specification draft
> >> that I've written:
> >>

> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/100012/1/specs/convergence-continuous-observer.rst
> >>
> >> Angus has suggested that perhaps Ceilometer is a better place to handle
> >> this. Can you please comment on the review, or can we have a brief
> >> mailing list discussion about how best to filter notifications?
> >>
> >> Basically in Heat when a user boots an instance, we would like to act as
> >> soon as it is active, and not have to poll the nova API to know when
> >> that is. Angus has suggested that perhaps we can just tell ceilometer to
> >> hit Heat with a web hook when that happens.
> >
> > I'm all in favour of having Ceilometer filter the firehose for us if we
> can :)
> >
> > Webhooks would seem to add a lot of overhead though (set up + tear down
> a connection for every notification), that could perhaps be avoided by
> using a message bus? Given that both setting up and receiving these
> notifications would be admin-only operations, is there any benefit to
> handling them through a webhook API rather than through oslo.messaging?
> >
> > cheers,
> > Zane.
>
> In larger OpenStack deployments, the different services probably don't
> share the same message bus. While I certainly agree oslo.messaging and/or
> oslo.notifications should be an option (and probably the default one at
> that), I think there should still be an option to use ceilometer or some
> other notification mechanism. As long as its pluggable, I don't think
> anyone would be too fussed.

Andrew Mann
DivvyCloud Inc.
www.divvycloud.com