[openstack-dev] [horizon] [neutron] Disassociating Instance's floating IP from Instances table with Neutron

Timur Sufiev tsufiev at mirantis.com
Fri Jun 27 12:06:03 UTC 2014

Hello!

So, we have a little problem with 'Disassociate IP' button in
Instances table when 'simple_ip_management' option is not specified in
Horizon's config - it is absent
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1325575). Having investigated
the problem a little bit, I found the following note in Neutron code:
        # NOTE: There are two reason that simple association support
        # needs more considerations. (1) Neutron does not support the
        # default floating IP pool at the moment. It can be avoided
        # in case where only one floating IP pool exists.
        # (2) Neutron floating IP is associated with each VIF and
        # we need to check whether such VIF is only one for an instance
        # to enable simple association support.
(and it is reflected in current Horizon docs for 'simple_ip_management' option).

So, the first question is whether any kind of simple association (and
both disassociation) is planned to be added to Neutron in the nearest
future (say, Juno cycle)?

The second question is more to Horizon team: if simple_ip_management
won't make it to Neutron soon, what's about supporting poor man's
'Disassociate IP' functionality (opposing 'Simple Disassociate IP') in
Horizon? I have the following scenario off the top of my head:
* user presses 'Disassociate IP' button
* he is redirected to
horizon:project:access_and_security:floating_ips, where only IPs for a
given Instance are shown
* user disassociates the right IP
* and returns to Intances table manually

What do you think?

P.S. I know that the appropriate Horizon bug exists
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1226003), but decided to ask
here to get a feedback from Neutron team.

--
Timur Sufiev