[openstack-dev] [Infra][Solum][Mistral] New class of requirements for Stackforge projects

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Thu Jun 26 06:00:34 UTC 2014

Ok,

I submitted and abandoned a couple of reviews[1][2] for a solution aimed to meet my goals without adding a new per-project requirements file. The flaw with this approach is that pip may install other requirements when installing the one(s) loaded from the fallback mirror, and those may conflict with the ones loaded from the primary mirror.

After discussing this further in #openstack-infra this evening, we should give serious consideration to adding python-mistralclient to global requirements. I have posted a review[3] for that to get input from the requirements review team.

Thanks,

Adrian

[1] https://review.openstack.org/102716
[2] https://review.openstack.org/102719
[3] https://review.openstack.org/102738<https://review.openstack.org/1027387>

On Jun 25, 2014, at 9:51 PM, Matthew Oliver <matt at oliver.net.au<mailto:matt at oliver.net.au>> wrote:

On Jun 26, 2014 12:12 PM, "Angus Salkeld" <angus.salkeld at rackspace.com<mailto:angus.salkeld at rackspace.com>> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Mistral is still evolving rapidly, and we don’t think it makes sense for them to pursue integration wight now. The upstream distributions who include packages to support OpenStack will also prefer not to deal with a requirement that will be cutting a new version every week or two in order to satisfy evolving needs as Solum and other consumers of Mistral help refine how it works.
> >>
> >> == Proposal ==
> >>
> >> We want the best of both worlds. We want the freedom to innovate and use new software for a limited selection of stackforge projects, and still use the OpenStack pypi server to satisfy my regular requirements. We want the speed and reliability of using our local mirror, and users of Solum to use a matching set of requirements for all the things that we use, and integrated projects use. We want to continue getting the reviews that bring us up to date with new requirements versions.
> >>
> >> We propose that we submit an enhancement to the gate/check job setup that will:
> >>
> >> 1) Begin (as it does today) by satisfying global-requirements.txt and my local project’s requirements.txt and test-requirements.txt using the local OpenStack pypi mirror.
> >> 2) After all requirements are satisfied, check the name of my project. If it begins with ‘stackforge/‘ then look for a stackforge-requirements.txt file. If one exists, reconfigure pip to switch to use pypi.python.org<http://pypi.python.org/>, and satisfy the requirements listed in the file. We will list mistralclient there, and get the latest tagged/released version of that.
> >>
> > I am reasonably sure that if you remove yourself from the
> > openstack/requirements project list this is basically how it will
> > work. Pip is configured to use the OpenStack mirror and fall back on
> > pypi.python.org<http://pypi.python.org/> for packages not available on the OpenStack mirror
> > [2]. So I don't think there is any work to do here with additional
> > requirements files. It should just work. Adding a new requirements
> > file will just make things more confusing for packagers and consumers
> > of your software.
>
> Adrian I know this is not the optimal solution, but I think this is
> the most pragmatic solution (esp. given we need to progress and not be held
> up by this), most stackforge projects are in the same boat as us.
> As far as pypi breakages (most are easily fixable by restricting the
> package versions if we get an issue with a new release

I've looked through the infra choose mirror code, and Clark is correct. If the project isn't in the projects.txt file they will only access to pypi.openstack.org<http://pypi.openstack.org/> however if removed then it will first check pypi.openstack.org<http://pypi.openstack.org/> and then fall back to to pypi.python.org<http://pypi.python.org/>. I think the only real solution is what Angus mentioned, remove yourself from projects.txt at least until all your dependencies can be provided by pypi.openstack.org<http://pypi.openstack.org/> or another solution is put into place. In the mean time you can at least progress and continue development.

If you code requires a direct dependency (rather then an optional dependency) of some non integrated project, then your stuck until they are.