[openstack-dev] [cinder][glance] Update volume-image-metadata proposal

Tripp, Travis S travis.tripp at hp.com
Wed Jun 25 19:08:10 UTC 2014

From: Brian Rosmaita [mailto:brian.rosmaita at RACKSPACE.COM]
>Or you can just use it as the basis of a Cinder property protection config file,
>because I wonder whether in the general case, you'll always want volume
>properties protected exactly the same as image properties.  If not, the new
>API call strategy will force you to deal with differences in the code, whereas
>the config file strategy would move dealing with differences to setting up the config file.

Once an instance is launched, the "image" properties are treated the same and lose distinction of whether they came from an image or a bootable volume in Nova. I agree with Facundo that maintaining a consistency between configuration files sounds like a configuration drift risk to me opening the opportunity to bypass protected properties. Also, commands in Cinder like upload-to-image may fail because a bootable volume is created with image properties that Glance doesn't actually allow.

Why not have a single source of truth for protected properties coming from Glance? A small possible downside I see is that the Glance API will get hit more often, but maybe we can optimize that?

This does sound like a good topic for the Glance meeting, but since it is a Cinder topic as well, it would be good to get Cinder team feedback.

-Travis