[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Use MariaDB by default on Fedora

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 16:58:17 UTC 2014

On 06/16/2014 11:14 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Gregory Haynes's message of 2014-06-16 14:04:19 -0700:
>> Excerpts from Jan Provazník's message of 2014-06-16 20:28:29 +0000:
>>> Hi,
>>> MariaDB is now included in Fedora repositories, this makes it easier to
>>> install and more stable option for Fedora installations. Currently
>>> MariaDB can be used by including mariadb (use mariadb.org pkgs) or
>>> mariadb-rdo (use redhat RDO pkgs) element when building an image. What
>>> do you think about using MariaDB as default option for Fedora when
>>> running devtest scripts?
>
> (first, I believe Jan means that MariaDB _Galera_ is now in Fedora)

I think so too.

>> Id like to give this a try. This does start to change us from being a
>> deployment of openstck to being a deployment per distro but IMO thats a
>> reasonable position.
>>
>> Id also like to propose that if we decide against doing this then these
>> elements should not live in tripleo-image-elements.
>
> I'm not so sure I agree. We have lio and tgt because lio is on RHEL but
> everywhere else is still using tgt IIRC.
>
> However, I also am not so sure that it is actually a good idea for people
> to ship on MariaDB since it is not in the gate. As it diverges from MySQL
> (starting in earnest with 10.x), there will undoubtedly be subtle issues
> that arise. So I'd say having MariaDB get tested along with Fedora will
> actually improve those users' test coverage, which is a good thing.

I am favourable to the idea of switching to mariadb for fedora based
distros.

Currently the default mysql element seems to be switching [1], yet for
ubuntu/debian only, from the percona provided binary tarball of mysql to
the percona provided packaged version of mysql.

In theory we could further update it to use percona provided packages of
mysql on fedora too but I'm not sure there is much interest in using
that combination where people gets mariadb and galera from the official
repos.

Using different defaults (and even drop support for one or another,
depending on the distro), seems to me a better approach in the long term.

Are there contrary opinions?

1. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/90134

--
Giulio Fidente