[openstack-dev] [nova] should we have a stale data indication in "nova list/show"?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jun 25 10:49:01 UTC 2014

On 06/25/2014 04:28 AM, Belmiro Moreira wrote:
> I like the current behavior of not changing the VM state if nova-compute
> goes down.
>
> The cloud operators can identify the issue in the compute node and try
> to fix it without users noticing. Depending in the problem I can inform
> users if instances are affected and change the state if necessary.
>
> I wouldn't like is to expose any failure in nova-compute to users and be
> contacted because VM state changed.

Agreed. Plus in the perfectly normal case of an upgrade of a compute
node, it's expected that nova-compute is going to be down for some
period of time, and it's 100% expected that the VMs remain up and ACTIVE
over that period.

Setting VMs to ERROR would totally gum that up.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net