[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Layer7 Switching - L7 Rule - comapre_type values

Stephen Balukoff sbalukoff at bluebox.net
Wed Jun 25 00:30:56 UTC 2014

Making sure all drivers support the features offered in Neutron LBaaS means
we are stuck going with the 'least common denominator' in all cases. While
this ensures all vendors implement the same things in the functionally the
same way, it also is probably a big reason the Neutron LBaaS project has
been so incredibly slow in seeing new features added over the last two
years.

In the gerrit review that Dustin linked, it sounds like the people
contributing to the discussion are in favor of allowing drivers to reject
some configurations as unsupported through use of exceptions (details on
how that will work is being hashed out now if you want to participate in
that discussion).  Let's assume, therefore, that with the LBaaS v2 API and
Object model we're also going to get this ability-- which of course also
means that drivers do not have to support every feature exposed by the API.

(And again, as Dustin pointed out, a Linux LVS-based driver definitely
wouldn't be able to support any L7 features at all, yet it's still a very
useful driver for many deployments.)

Finally, I do not believe that the LBaaS project should be "held back"
because one vendor's implementation doesn't work well with a couple
features exposed in the API. As Dustin said, let the API expose a rich
feature set and allow drivers to reject certain configurations when they
don't support them.

Stephen

Stephen Balukoff
Blue Box Group, LLC