[openstack-dev] [nova] should we have a stale data indication in "nova list/show"?

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 20:42:58 UTC 2014

On Jun 18, 2014 3:03 PM, "Chris Friesen" <chris.friesen at windriver.com>
wrote:

> The output of "nova list" and "nova show" reflects the current status in
the database, not the actual state on the compute node.

> If the instances in question are on a compute node that is currently
"down", then the information is stale and possibly incorrect.  Would there
be any benefit in adding some sort of indication of this in the "nova list"
output?  Or do we expect the end-user to check "nova service-list" (or
other health-monitoring mechanisms) to see if the compute node is "up"
before relying on the output of "nova list"?

Great question.  In general I don't think a regular user should never need
to run any health monitoring command. I think the larger question here is
what how do we handle instances associated with a nova-compute that is
currently being reported as down.  If nova-compute is down we have no way
of knowing the actual state of the instances. Perhaps we should move those
instances to an error state and let the user respond accordingly (delete
instance etc.). And if the Nova-compute service returns we correct the
state.