[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Which entities need status

Jain, Vivek VIVEKJAIN at ebay.com
Tue Jun 24 19:31:59 UTC 2014

+1 to what Eugene just iterated:

  *   Different types of statuses
  *   Not every status on every object
  *   Status should be API call

Thanks,
Vivek

From: Eugene Nikanorov <enikanorov at mirantis.com<mailto:enikanorov at mirantis.com>>
Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Which entities need status

Hi lbaas folks,

IMO a status is really an important part of the API.
In some old email threads Sam has proposed the solution for lbaas objects: we need to have several attributes that independently represent different types of statuses:
- admin_state_up
- operational status
- provisioning state

Not every status need to be on every object.
Pure-DB objects (like pool) should not have provisioning state and operational status, instead, an association object should have them. I think that resolves both questions (1) and (2).
If some object is shareable, then we'll have association object anyway, and that's where provisioning status and operationl status can reside. For sure it's not very simple, but this is the right way to do it.

Also I'd like to emphasize that statuses are really an API thing, not a driver thing, so they must be used similarly across all drivers.

Thanks,
Eugene.