[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Which entities need status

Doug Wiegley dougw at a10networks.com
Tue Jun 24 18:53:08 UTC 2014

Hi Brandon,

I think just one status is overloading too much onto the LB object (which
is perhaps something that a UI should do for a user, but not something an
API should be doing.)

> 1) If an entity exists without a link to a load balancer it is purely
> just a database entry, so it would always be ACTIVE, but not really
> active in a technical sense.

Depends on the driver.  I don¹t think this is a decision for lbaas proper.

> 2) If some of these entities become shareable then how does the status
> reflect that the entity failed to create on one load balancer but was
> successfully created on another.  That logic could get overly complex.

That¹s a status on the join link, not the object, and I could argue
multiple ways in which that should be one way or another based on the
backend, which to me, again implies driver question (backend could queue
for later, or error immediately, or let things run degraded, orŠ)

Thanks,
Doug