[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Which entities need status

Brandon Logan brandon.logan at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Jun 24 18:23:31 UTC 2014

I think we missed this discussion at the meet-up but I'd like to bring
it up here.  To me having a status on all entities doesn't make much
sense, and justing having a status on a load balancer (which would be a
provisioning status) and a status on a member (which would be an
operational status) are what makes sense because:

1) If an entity exists without a link to a load balancer it is purely
just a database entry, so it would always be ACTIVE, but not really
active in a technical sense.

2) If some of these entities become shareable then how does the status
reflect that the entity failed to create on one load balancer but was
successfully created on another.  That logic could get overly complex.

I think the best thing to do is to have the load balancer status reflect
the provisioning status of all of its children.  So if a health monitor
is updated then the load balancer that health monitor is linked to would
have its status changed to PENDING_UPDATE.  Conversely, if a load
balancer or any entities linked to it are changed and the load
balancer's status is in a non-ACTIVE state then that update should not
be allowed.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brandon