[openstack-dev] [hacking] rules for removal

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Jun 23 17:26:31 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Mark McLoughlin's message of 2014-06-22 00:39:29 -0700:
> The main point is that this is something worth addressing as a wider
> community rather than in individual reviews with a limited audience. And
> that doing it with a bit of humor might help take the sting out of it.

Yes, a private message saying "Hey fellow earthling, do we really care
whether httplib is grouped with os or eventlet?" is a productive thing
indeed! However, turning that into something that we can all publicly
laugh about requires some real skill, and trust between us all. Given
our digital communication mediums, it is not likely we can do it all
that regularly. I think at best we could gather them all into a couple
of keynote slides with the authors' blessings (oh please, somebody do
this!)

However, if we can all look inward and just do it with self deprecation
I'm all for it.

The main point I am making is that the less grey areas we have, the less
of this we ever have to worry about. It is worth it, to me, to look into
keeping this rule alive so that we never ever have to discuss import
grouping.

(BTW, how many release cycles does one have to deprecate themselves
before they remove themselves?)