[openstack-dev] [oslo] Adopting pylockfile

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Mon Jun 23 14:43:33 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 23 2014, Ben Nemec wrote:

> We actually don't use this in lockutils - we use our own
> implementation of LockFile because there was some sort of outstanding
> bug in pylockfile that made it not work for us.  The only place I can
> see that we do use that project is in the oslo.db code because we
> didn't want to depend on incubator modules there, but once
> oslo.concurrency graduates we can switch to using our own locking
> implementation again.

Oh you're right, I got confused while chasing the bug.

> Basically I think this would be duplicating what we're already doing
> in lockutils, so I'm -1 on it.  I'd rather focus on getting
> oslo.concurrency graduated and remove pylockfile from
> global-requirements to make sure no one is using it anymore.

That'd work for me.

> This also makes me wonder if oslo.concurrency should not be an oslo.*
> library since this functionality is more generally applicable outside
> OpenStack.  Something to discuss anyway.

Agreed. I also think there is some potential relation with tooz, as it
provides locking on a distributed fashion. So it can be seen as a
complement of tooz I'd say. Maybe something to think about.

--
Julien Danjou
-- Free Software hacker