[openstack-dev] [hacking] rules for removal

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 01:46:59 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 4:43 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/22/2014 09:41 AM, Amrith Kumar wrote:
>
>> In addition to making changes to the hacking rules, why don't we mandate
>> also
>> that perceived problems in the commit message shall not be an acceptable
>> reason to -1 a change.
>>
>> Would this improve the situation?
>>

> I actually *do* think a very poor commit message for a substantial patch
> deserves a -1. The git commit message is our history for the patch, and it
> is important in its own right. Now, nits like a single misspelled word or
> the commit summary being 60 characters instead of 50 are not what I'm
> talking about, of course.
>
> I'm speaking only about when a commit message blatantly disregards the
> best practices of commit message writing [1] and doesn't offer anything of
> value to the reviewer.

+1.

Minor typos and grammatical errors I don't  care about (but will put in
suggested fixes if the patch needs to be updated anyway). However, commit
messages are very important for future debugging. One or two line vague
commit messages can make life a lot harder for others in the future when
writing a short description is not what I'd consider an excessive burden.
And there should be no assumption that the person reading the commit
message will have easy access to the bug database.

Chris